Happy March + Recent Updates

It's been nearly three months since I've blogged an entry in here. Three months. I'm still trying to accept the fact that it's already the first week of March 2015 and I simply cannot grasp this concept. It's unbelievable how quickly this year is flying by.

I haven't lettered a thing since the holidays and, at 2:00am this morning, a rush of inspiration took over and I was determined to change that. I rummaged for my oblique holder, a Brause 66EF nib, some black Higgins ink... then doodled away. Honestly, it was wonderful to hold a pen again and letter something. I had forgotten how incredibly relaxing it can be.

Now, in case you're new to the blog, let's back up a bit. Early last year (2014), I began a little "let's practice calligraphy!" project (#writeandnerdy) where I would hand letter some of my favorite nerdy quotes. Things got busy (oh, life - aren't you just a silly thing) and it was ultimately a failure of a project.

I'm excited to say that Project #writeandnerdy has been resurrected. Temporarily, at least. You can even follow along on Instagram.


Like many other Trekkies, I was absolutely heartbroken to hear of the great Leonard Nimoy's recent passing. I grew up watching Star Trek. As an infant, my Star Trek loving father would prop me on his lap, feed me spoonfuls of apple sauce, and share the exciting adventures of the Starship Enterprise and its crew. Spock has always been a favorite character of mine, so I lettered the famous Vulcan saying, "Live Long and Prosper." The lettering itself has its flaws and I'm still attempting to work out my inconsistencies regarding letter widths and spacing. However, I would like to think it turned out "decent-ish" for not having picked up a pen in months.

In other news, I decided to cut 10 inches off of my ridiculously lengthy hair. I hadn't had a haircut (aside from quick trims) in over 2 years, and it was much needed. Note to self: When you're consistently closing car doors on your hair, it's most certainly time to get a cut.


I'm pretty happy with the cut (thanks to The Cutting Edge Salon in Charlottesville) and was even able to make my very first wig donation. Win-win.

I still have many personal images to share from 2014, so do check back for more! I'll be posting some favorite images from last year's trips to Japan, South Korea, Utah, California, Maine, and Colorado - just to name a few.

Until then...

Comments

  1. LOVE your new hair cut!! (i'm about to get one today, too :)) please keep blogging, i NEED to see all your amazing travel photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh... I am obsessed with lettering! I will definitely have to check out your #writeandnerdy posts! Can't wait to see your travel images!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts